Actor Spotlight: Heidi Winters Vogel, "This Too Comes By Hard" as Mother

​Unreal City Theatre is extremely lucky to have Heidi Winters Vogel with our cast. Heidi Winters Vogel is a theater faculty at Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, VA teaching acting, directing and socially-engaged theater.  She is co-founder of Inside Out Playback Theatre, doing improvisational storytelling and performing with migrant laborers, abuse survivors, the formerly incarcerated, and communities of all kinds.  Heidi received her BA in theatre from the University of Minnesota and an MFA in directing from Penn State University. She has performed and directed all over the country but never at the DC Fringe Festival!  She wants to say many thanks to Scott and Unreal City for this opportunity to work on this exciting new script.


Heidi Winters Vogel as Mother

UCT: Tell us about your journey as a theater maker.

HEIDI: I have been doing theater for 30 years and I am never bored or tempted by another career.  My journey goes on as I discover new and exciting ways into storytelling and engaging audiences.  I started as an actor, worked as a stage manager so I could witness the work of excellent directors, designed costumes to pay the bills and play with clothes, and directed plays all over the United States.  I love all the art forms that make a theatrical production! I have had the pleasure of working with super talented artists to make exciting productions, whatever position I played.


UCT: How do you feel that you relate or not relate to your character of the Mother in This Too Comes by Hard

HEIDI: I am a mother and I constantly worry about the choices my kids make.  They are younger than "M" so there is still hope!  I also hope that my kids don't refer to me as a bitch (especially hope I don't deserve it if they do). 


UCT: What is your favorite play and why? 

HEIDI: My favorite play is always the play I am working on at the time...so This Too Comes by Hard, followed closely by Macbeth, which I am directing in the fall at Eastern Mennonite University. Both shows have a dark and self-destructive character at their centers. That always intrigues me.


UCT: What is your advice to young theater makers? 

HEIDI: Take yourself and your art seriously.  There is a reason you are drawn to the power of theatre, dig deep and celebrate the life and love in the play and in the community! It isn't easy but it is worth it. 


UCT: What's been an experience that has impacted your life the most? 

HEIDI: Choosing to partner with  David for life!


UCT: What is your favorite restaurant in Harrisonburg? 

​HEIDI: Vietopia

Comments

Popular Posts