Actor Spotlight: Jessie Houff, "This Too Comes By Hard" as Preacher

Unreal City Theatre is proud to announce Jessie Houff as Preacher in our production of This Too Comes By Hard. Jessie Houff is a '13 graduate of Bridgewater College with an Art and Theater Degree. After graduating, she spent two years being a full time volunteer with Brethren Volunteer Service (BVS). She served with a youth empowerment program in New York State as well as the BVS office in Elgin, Illinois. She also spent last summer volunteering with Artists Striving To End Poverty at the Refugee Youth Summer Academy working with refugee children who were new to New York City. Jessie is also on the Young Adult Steering Committee, which plans the annual Young Adult Conference for members of the Church of the Brethren. This fall, she will be attending the Maryland Institute College of Art in Baltimore to start the journey of her Masters of Fine Arts in Community Art to continue her passion of connecting the arts and community. She is thrilled to be working with her theatre family again on this magnificent play! We asked Jessie a few questions about herself as well as her involvement in our show.


UCT: What intially brought you to Unreal City's This Too Comes By Hard?

JESSIE: I first heard about Unreal City's new play from Facebook, actually. I went to college with the founders and saw their Facebook page. I think I audibly screamed from excitement that this was coming to Harrisonburg! I was thrilled to see that there was this new play and auditions were soon. 

UCT: Who are some of your favorite actors and why?

JESSIE: A couple of my favorite actors are Maya Rudolf and Kate Mckinnon. Both are from SNL, but Maya is in my favorite movie, "Away We Go" and I really admire actors like her who can do comedy and drama. 

UCT: Unreal City's mission is to bring new plays by new playwrights in Harrisonburg to light. Do you agree with their mission and if so, why?

JESSIE: I love Unreal City's mission! I think it's great that it's not just bringing theater to the area, but giving recognition to new playwrights. I think it makes them unique and is perfect for getting the community involved. 

UCT: What are you most excited about for this production?

JESSIE: his production excites me because it is the first play I will have been a part of out of school! I'm super thrilled to be working with some of my former Bridgewater College Alumni as well as Scott Cole. It is such a joy working with Scott and the founders of Unreal City, and I am honored to be able to have the chance to work with them all again.

UCT: What is your dream role?

JESSIE: I went to see a play with my mom when I was looking for colleges. It was a play based off of the story of Joan of Arc at Emory and Henry. I will never forget that play. The woman who played Joan was one of the most spectacular actresses I have ever seen in a live production. She was so passionate and I remember thinking, "I want to be that passionate. I would love to play Joan". Ever since, I thought it would be incredible to play Joan in any play based off of her life because she was such a strong and courageous woman. What an opportunity that would be.

UCT: Where do you see yourself in five years?

JESSIE:  In five years, I see myself being happy. I see myself in a job I love, in a city I love, and surrounded by people I love. I see new challenges and new opportunities. I'm a pretty optimistic person, so I definitely see myself working alongside many other artists. I hope to better my community with art and collaboration.

UCT: What is your favorite thing to do in Harrisonburg?

JESSIE: It's funny, I grew up near Harrisonburg and I never really took advantage of all the cool stuff there is to do. Basically, my favorite thing to do is just go downtown! There are so many shops and stores and events to go to. Court Square is just such a fun place to be and I love walking around. Earth and Tea is one of my favorite places to go. I'm always down for a cup of tea and a delicious wrap. 


Comments